Translate

Friday, October 9, 2015

Mixed Media

Hey everyone!

What do I have in store for you today?  I have a 5"x 7" mixed media canvas.
This is my first complete go around with this.  


I wanted to have a go at this, but didn't know where to begin.
It just so happened that Alyce from Kit and Clowder just offered
a Mixed Media Class and I am beyond happy that I took the class.
With the videos and written instructions complete with pictures, I felt
like someone was right there showing me all the steps.
You can find this class at  http://kitandclowder.ning.com/

On to my project.

I first started with a 5 x  7 canvas and primed it with Gesso.  Mine just happens
to be made by Faber Castell and I purchased it from Michaels Art Store.

After primed and dried, I used texture paste and a homemade stencil for my pattern
background.  I happed to have a cricut and cut my stencil out of one
of my kids extra folders, purchased for school.  This one is a heavier folder with a thick 
coating, that happens to wipe clean, on the outside that has held up very well.



I also used a Tim Holtz stencil for another section of the canvas, Bubble.

I took my heat gun to help speed up the drying time of the texture paste.

After dry I used Dylusions Ink Spray in Cherry Pie, Funky Fushia
and Vibrant Turquoise to get this rich purple tone.
Just play with your sprays until you have a effect you like.  
I used wet wipes to lighten areas.

Once dry I used Matte Acrylic Paint in Candy Pink from Apple Barrel and a
make up sponge and daubbed on the raised areas of the stenciled design.

I also used powder eyeshadow, YES, you heard me, eyeshadow to add
hightlights in other areas.

On to my embellishments.  These were created with a mold and air dry clay then painted the
colors of my choosing. 

It just so happened that I still had a can of Metal Effects Spray Paint, from a previous
project out in the garage stash.
I used this for the bits and pieces.

On this one, I daubed the Candy Pink to the center to give it the feel of a gem
in the center.


The wings are from a Cheerios Honey Nut cereal box.  Son says I have to tell
you which box as it is his cereal.  Yes, at the age of 13, he picked a half way
decent cereal.  One proud Mom here.
I cut them on my Cricut and the wings were actually with a heart in the center.
I just sliced and had my wings.  Painted with the same Metal Effects Paint.



I hope you have enjoyed this project and Thanks for having a look.


Happy Crafting

xoxo

Heather



2 comments:

  1. This turned out FABULOUS! I love reading the steps you took to achieve this awesomeness. Great idea using the folder! I have been thinking about what to use for a stencil that I would want to keep. This is perfect! I use cereal boxes for some of my projects too =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. They are always appreciated.